Monday, September 1, 2008

Labor Day Special

Cesar Chavez, a hero of labor organization
and founder of the Farm Workers' Union

Today, in celebration of labor day (whose significance is forgotten by many) I will inflict on you a verse that I wrote when I was eleven years old and had never been taught such niceties of poetic composition as the number of syllables in a line or - you name it! This is actually my first published poem - on the children's page of the San Jose Mercury Herald. Yes, I know it's bad, but it was a source of great pride to me when I was an eleven-year old!

It was only a little star.
There were others much more bright

But still it tried to do it’s part

In lighting the world at night.


He was only a common man

Millions like him you can see

But he did his duty day by day

That this world might happier be.


Shine on little star

For what would we do

If there were only a few bright stars

And no little ones like you?


Shine on, common man, shine on

Though your name is not bright with fame!

For what would we do without men like you

Whose duty is done just the same?

3 comments:

Rinkly Rimes said...

I am reminded that I have some of my childish efforts somewhere! I must dig them out. What comes through to me in your poem is what a strong social conscience you had at such an early age! My first foray into performance poetry (I do a lot of performing now) was on the stage at the village hall on VE Day, when I recited a ballad about The Common Man! Sadly for humanity, the poem hasn't survived!!!!

Unknown said...

This is adorable!!

Nydia said...

This is not bad at all! So sweet and thoughtful for an eleven-year-old girl! Great that you kept it with you!