Tuesday, June 17, 2008

V is for Violin

Kristin gives our granddaughter Myrtle her first violin lesson
while Myrtle's brother Cedric and cousin Daria watch.
This is an old photo! The children in it are now adults.

Mrs. Nesbitt's Place ABC Wednesday prompt is the letter V.

Music has always been an important part of family activities. There are many instruments played by many family members, but piano, guitar, oboe, tuba, clarinet etc. etc. do not start with V.

We are still visiting in Port Townsend (where Kristin, our best and professional violinist is our hostess), but our visit is drawing toward its close. Time being short here, in the interest of intensive visiting (we all love to talk!), I am grabbing a few of the many photos of family and violins that are already in my computer. In two or three of them son Otto is playing his Colin Dipper English concertina which often doubles as and sounds like a violin.

Kristin and her daughter (our granddaughter)
play at our family reunion last August

The two with violins are Grandson Cedric Shock (arm only) and Kristin
with son Otto on concertina.

Kristin shares her love of violins with our great-grandson, Baxter Bishop


Anna and Otto play at street fair.
photo by Kristin Smith

16 comments:

CaBaCuRl said...

How fortunate you are to have these special family times, making music together, regardless of age etc

photowannabe said...

I love seeing all the different ages playing together. You are making solid family memories.

Leslie: said...

Lovely photos and memories of a musical family. I wish I'd have had music lessons when a child, but alas! Please do come by for a visit. :D

Dragonstar said...

Music is so important. My daughter posted her old violin.

AphotoAday said...

Looks like a whole lot of fun!
Great V...

Reader Wil said...

Music is such a vital part in my life too, although I am a listener! Thanks for showing these wonderful family violon-players!

Bear Naked said...

How could I have forgot.
Of course V --is for Violin.

Katney said...

What a delight that such talent fills the family and is passed along to multiple generations.

mrsnesbitt said...

Again I was struck with the likeness you have with our very own Queen Elizabeth! HRH Granny Smith!

A musical family, what a treat on special occasions I am sure.

Mental P Mama said...

My favorite instrument! And a perfect V!

Petunia said...

So perfect for the V post:)

Petunia's ABC

Lilibeth said...

I do so love the sound of a well-played violin. My son plays piano, trumpet, and guitar tolerably well, but he only plays a little violin. Ah well, I can't say much because I don't play any instrument...but I love to listen to them.

Neva said...

A fabulous V post!

Maggie May said...

What delightful photos! great watching children play instruments.
I also enjoyed your knitting post!

linda may said...

My niece used to call violins "Those guitars you play with a stick when she was little.Te He.
And re; the apples "Silly Me!"

AscenderRisesAbove said...

those photos were a lot of fun; especially the first which really tugged at the ol heart strings