Sunday, September 25, 2011

Plan B re Pets


See other takes on the prompt of "Plan B" HERE
or by clicking on banner above

OF MYTHIC BEASTS

I’ve never tried to trap a unicorn.
It’s not more graceful, say, than a gazelle,
an earthly beast I’m sure would do as well;
and what’s so great about a single horn?
Nor have I tried to snare a horse with wings.
I’ve flown across the sky, but in a jet.
I see no earthly use for such a pet;
I’ll save my sugar cubes to sweeten things.

But dragons! Ah, now that’s a different story:
great flailing tails that slither, thrash, and crash,
tough armored scales to hide the wicked core,
the iridescent wings a blue-black glory,
the knobbly claws whose talons rake and slash!
My favored mythic beasts breathe fire, and roar!

10 comments:

Belva Rae Staples said...

Dragons are better!

Madeleine Begun Kane said...

Very charming!

And thanks as always for your frequent participation in my Limerick-Offs. I always enjoy your contributions!

Madeleine Begun Kane

Old Egg said...

Knowing of your affinity to dragons I must admit that it is best to be their friends...that is if they let you. What is your secret?

Springcycle said...

Of unicorns and dragons - I love it and such an interesting take on the prompt!

Dee Martin said...

I love this dragony poem - I hope you do catch one someday! What an adventure to ride off into the moonlight on the back of one of those beautiful beasts :)

Maggie May said...

Its a lovely poem..... though I think I prefer the unicorn, any day!
Maggie X

Nuts in May

gautami tripathy said...

So mystical. Loved it!

Here is mine:

unhinged

linda may said...

Hehehe, cool. And, if it is a mythical pet, you wouldn't have tp pay vet bills, feed it or clean up after it. I might like one of those too Granny.

ShonEjai said...

Very amusing. I loved it! I'd rather have the unicorn though...:)

Madeleine Begun Kane said...

I stopped by to congratulate you on winning this week's Limerick of the Week. Great job! Limerick of the Week 29.