Sunday, June 16, 2013

WHAT A TREAT!



 Years ago I had a small squirrel monkey as a pet.  I had first fallen in love with him in a dark corner at the back of the basement of Kresge's store where they had kept their pet section. It not the sort of  goods that made up the bulk of their inventory.

I had grown up on the stories and pictures that my father's years of exploration in South America. And a favorite story had been of a squirrel monkey that joined him on a raft on one of the tributaries of the Amazon. When my father died unexpectedly a few days before Christmas, my teen-aged children pooled their meager savings and bought me Bobinho (Portuguese for "Little clown) as a Christmas gift to ease my mourning.

I was determined to be a good monkey mother. I bought him his favorite foods. He loved bananas and peanuts, as did I, but research led me to believe that he would savor a treat that was also good for his health: meal worms! The books were right! Given a choice of foods, the meal worms won his enthusiastic favor evey time. Fortunately they were available at a local bird store.

And what does a good mother do? She tastes her child's food, of course! I'll admit that I put it off for quite a while, but finally I picked up a squirmy worm and bit into it. That stopped the squirming.

How can I describe it? It was a bit chewy, but my surprised taste buds were immediately seduced by its flavor. No wonder Bobinho liked it best! It tasted like the best meat tenderloin marinated in a sauce of fragrant tropical fruits, sweet and spicy!

Next, I hurried to the bathroom, spit it into the toilet, then brushed my teeth thoroughly. There are some things that even good monkey mothers can't bring themselves to swallow!

7 comments:

Granny Smith said...

Will somebody please inform me as to where the bulk of Sunday Scribblings ha moved? There are only a handful of us who post on the old blogspot address. Please.please help me!

Berowne said...

Charming and pretty funny too...

Maggie May said...

What a wonderful story.
What became of him? I'd love to know more.
Maggie x

Nuts in May

Lady In Read said...

loved this story.. and such a charming fellow.. though not sure if i would have been such a good mommy :) would have asked daddy to do the worm-taste-test:)

Old Egg said...

What a good mother you were to even try the meal worms.

Sunday Scribblings which was at one time my main posting site has been annoyingly irregular in it's posting dates. All it needed was the original regular Saturday time slot but clearly our host, Megg's other commitments seem to prevent that. Let's hope this date remains stable but sadly it does clash with Three Word Wednesday.

Latree said...

hello granny... that was a cute story, like you always tell...

ah... glad to be here again after couple years skipping sundayscribblings...

dagonjacy said...

Tritanium's Back with Titanium's Back With Tits Back With
The Tritanium babyliss pro nano titanium straightener Back titanium undertaker With Tits Back with titanium nail Titanium's Back with Titanium's titanium quartz Back with Titanium's Back with Titanium's Back with Titanium's Back with Titanium's Back with black titanium rings Titanium's