Tuesday, April 21, 2009

N is for Now and Northbrae

Mrs. Nesbitt's ABC Wednesday Round 4
has worked its way through the alphabet
to the letter N.








N is for NOW, the perfect time to savor the scent of wisteria wafting through open windows. I took these pictures Saturday. These are not the only floweres that are currently at the peak of their bloom. California poppies have been making shy appearances for several months, but now thay are broad swathes of orange in gardens where thay have been sown. Ice plant has appeared in several nearby gardens, an unusually brilliant and almost flourescent purple carpet. But these are my own flowers, photos from my bathroom window to the copper roof and trellis where the leaves of the wisteria add summer insulation to our entryway and dining room.




N is also for Northbrae Library, the branch of the Berkeley Public Library that I most often frequent. The lovely building was constructed in the late 1930s. The large building occupies most of a large triangular block. The pointed end of block has a small, pleasant park.

It is rich in decorative detail, both inside and out.

I especially like these decorative tiles.

Every beam in the two large reading rooms
is as rich in decoration as this small detail.

I intended to overwhelm you with photos of this large active library with delicately wrought fireplace mantels, banks of computers for client use, delightful children's room - BUT - the battery on my digital camera died. Next time, perhaps.

This is the link to other blogs that participate in Mrs. Nesbitt's ABC Wednesday Round 4.

19 comments:

Unknown said...

What beautiful flowers! So lovely! And that library.... I would LOVE to visit it with you! Libraries are one of my favorite places on the planet! Which reminds me, I think we have some books on tape that have to go back!

Carol said...

Beautiful wisteria photos...I think I can smell it too...the library is also one of my favorite places....

Janie said...

I can almost catch a whiff of all that wisteria. Your library looks beautiful, too.

Rinkly Rimes said...

Wistaria! One of my favourite plants. If only they were evergreens (flowers) . But then, I suppose we wouldn't appreciate them as much.

Sylvia K said...

The wisteria is breathtaking! Really fabulous photos! And I love libraries! the one there in Berkley looks wonderful! Thanks for sharing these for "N" day!

Karyn said...

I've never seen wisteria before - it is gorgeous! You are blessed to have such beauty out your back door.

The library looks like a very interesting building, I am sorry your battery gave out!

Maggie May said...

Wonderful wisteria and I agree that the library photos are indeed very beautiful.
Well thought out photos and I like the way you started off with N is for NOW!

photowannabe said...

Beautiful flowers. I love how they are so full on your trellis. Nice choice for the letter N.

anthonynorth said...

That's a beautiful garden, and a library to feel at ease within.

Bethany Bassett said...

I love, love, love your wisteria! I dream of one day owning a home with a perfect spot for those purple blooms.

Miss_Yves said...

Yes, "Now is now ":carpe diem !
We could smell the fragrance of these beautiful plants in your photos !
Thanks for your visit andkind words .

Rune Eide said...

What should we do without a library? No knowledge - no nothing. I owe the one I frequented in my youth an enormous debth.

Tumblewords: said...

Wisteria! Glorious wisteria! These are beautifully presented and it must be a pleasure to have them right there on your balcony. The Library appears to be a wonderful place.

nonizamboni said...

Good advice about 'now' & so nicely illustrated! Wisteria--I've never had the pleasure of being up close enough to take in their scent.
The smell of libraries, however, is part of my DNA now, I think.
Lovely post, my friend.

Jay said...

I ADORE wisteria!! Yours is far more forward than mine, but I guess that's because you're in California and I'm on the edge of the fens in England. My wisteria is absolutely covered in buds, but not yet a single flower.

I'm keeping my fingers firmly crossed that we have no more frost. For the last two years we've lost every single last blossom on our wisteria to a late frost. We did get a small second flush of flowers, but nothing to compare to that first heavenly spring blooming!

Rose said...

I love wisteria! One of these days I'm going to put in an arbor so that I can grow some. And your library looks so charming and inviting; not the cold, sterile look of so many of the newer buildings today.

spacedlaw said...

The wisteria are indeed in bloom and so sweet.

Mara said...

I wish my garden had those lovely blue/purple/lilac flowers. Beautiful!

Unknown said...

I was thinking of you this morning when I passed bush after bush in blossom! Hope your day in Sunny California is splendid!