Saturday, February 24, 2007

Blogs and me

I have a sad history with blogs. Every time I start one something intervenes to render it useless. Yesterday I finally got to the point of posting my first blog. Being a true Californian, it never occurred to me that a small earthquake could cause any damage anywhere. A 3.4 quake located 2 miles southeast of Berkeley shook us for only 3 or 4 seconds - just long enough for Otto and me to yell "earthquake", but not long enough to even move from my chair to seek a nice safe doorway. Then I tried to post my first blog on this site - unadorned, just to see if it worked. It didn't. First my computer complained that my server did not exist, then that Firefox, Mozilla, Netscape and Internet Explorer couldn't be found, and, finally (with reference to explorer) that Microsoft was unknown to them. I thought that there was something wrong with either my computer or my use of it, so I turned it off so that, as often happens, it would cure itself. No such luck!
Today Otto called Comcast support. The answer was simple: disconnect the power cable from the router then plug it in again. The setting had apparently been discombobulated by our tiny earthquake and needed resetting. Never under-estimate the effects even a tiny earthquake can have!

No comments: